"I have dashcam .avi videos that were playing fine on the dashcam itself, but when I try to play them on my computer, I can only hear the audio with a black screen. Are my videos corrupted? Any suggestions on how to fix corrupted avi files? It's really driving me crazy not being able to access my footage!"
AVI, a long-standing and widely utilized video format, has established its presence since its inception. However, its lack of standardization can sometimes led to issues like playback glitches, audio-video mismatches, and even video failures. If you've faced challenges when playing with AVI files, fear not! This article is here to guide you through five effective methods to repair AVI files and offer tips to prevent future problems. With these techniques and insights, you'll be ready to confidently tackle these vexing issues. Let's dive in and get started!
Part 1. Why are My AVI Files Not Playing Video/Corrupted?
Why do AVI files corrupt? This is a question that often plagues us when our AVI videos refuse to play or become corrupted. The causes of AVI file corruption are multifaceted. Below we’ve listed the most common ones:
- Interrupted Downloads/Transfers: Interruptions during downloading or transferring AVI files can lead to incomplete data and trigger corruption.
- Bad Sectors: Issues such as bad sectors on your hard drive can compromise data storage and potentially corrupt AVI files.
- Power Outrage: Sudden power outages while working with AVI files can result in incomplete data writing and corrupt data.
- Software Glitches: Errors or bugs within media players or editing software can misinterpret AVI data, causing corruption.
- Virus/Malware Attacks: Malicious software can modify AVI file content, causing corruption or rendering files unreadable.
- File Header Damage: Damage to the file header, which contains vital information, can prevent AVI files from opening or playing correctly.
Part 2. How to Repair Corrupted AVI Files
Repairing corrupted AVI files is essential to regain seamless video playback. In this section, we’ll present you with the most effective and easy methods for AVI corrupted file repair. Give them a shot to determine the one that suits you best.
Method 1. Repair AVI File Online
If you're seeking a quick and hassle-free way to repair your corrupted AVI files, the online tool, 4DDiG Free Online Video Repair, can get the job done. Without requiring any software installation, this tool allows you to repair corrupted AVI files online for free. Here's how:
- Open a browser and visit 4DDiG Online Free Video Repair.
Click "Upload Video" to add your corrupted AVI file.
- The online tool will analyze the file and work to fix any issues.Wait for the process to finish, preview the repaired AVI file, and download it on your PC.
You can only upload one audio file at a time, with a maximum file size of 300 MB.
Method 2. Repair Corrupted AVI Files Using 4DDiG Video Repair
When dealing with more complex corruption issues in your AVI files, turn to 4DDiG Video Repair, your ultimate professional AVI repair tool. Specifically tailored to tackle a diverse range of video challenges, including unplayable videos with error codes, video choppy playback, audio-video out of sync Issues, etc, 4DDiG Video Repair stands as a reliable solution to salvage your AVI files and restore them to their optimal state.
4DDiG Video Repair boosts a variety of advanced features, which include:
- Capable of repairing various video formats beyond AVI, such as MP4, MKV, MOV, M4V, 3G2, 3GP, and SWF.
- Provide both Quick Repair or Advanced Repair modes to repair AVI files.
- Fix videos with various levels of corruption, including playback issues, sound absence, header damage, missing video codecs, and more.
- Enhance video quality and upscale resolution for a visually superior playback experience.
- Batch repair multiple file formats at once.
- Offer a preview of the repaired videos before saving.
- Support video repair from SD cards, USBs, digital cameras, and hard disks.
Here's how to repair corrupted AVI video files with 4DDiG File Repair:
Add Corrupted AVI Files
Launch 4DDiG File Repair on your PC and locate the "Video Repair" tab. Choose "Fix Video Errors" and hit "Start." Then select and upload your corrupted AVI files.
Repair Corrupted AVI Files
Click "Start Repair" to begin. Wait for the repair process to complete.
Preview and Export Repaired AVI Files
The software will present a preview of the repaired AVI files. Play them one by one to that the video quality has been successfully restored. After confirmation, export and save the repaired AVI videos.
Method 3. Fix AVI Files Using VLC Media Player
VLC, while known as a versatile media player, can also come to the rescue when it comes to fixing corrupted AVI files. It offers a built-in Always Fix feature that can be used for addressing AVI video corruption caused by file index issues. Here’s how you can utilize VLC to repair AVI files:
Open the VLC player on your PC. Go to "Tools" and select "Preferences."
Locate the "Input/Codecs" tab, pick "Always Fix" next to "Damaged or incomplete AVI file," and click "Save" to apply the changes.
- Finally, play your video and the playback issue should be fixed by now.
Method 4. Use DivFix++Repair Tool to Fix AVI files
For targeted AVI index repair, DivFix++ stands as a reliable solution. This specialized tool is designed to rectify issues in corrupted AVI video files by rebuilding index part of file. It effectively tackles issues stemming from incomplete downloads and damaged headers.
Here's how to repair corrupted/broken AVI files with DivFix++:
- Download and launch DivFix++ on your PC.
- Click the "Add Files" button to select the damaged/corrupted AVI videos for repair.
Make sure both the "Cut Out Bad Parts" and "Keep Original File" options are checked, so that DivFix++ will remove corrupted parts of the video that can't be salvaged by the tool an keep your original AVI file untouched.
- Click the Check Errors button and the tool will start scanning the AVI files and show you errors that needs to be fixed.
- Click the "Fix" button to initiate the repair process for your corrupted AVI file. Upon completion, play the repair videos and they should work fine now.
Method 5. Convert the AVI File to Another Format
If traditional repair methods prove challenging, converting the AVI file to a different format can be an alternative approach. VLC player can be handy in that process. Here's how to perform an AVI repair through format conversion:
Open the VLC player on your PC, click "Media" and then select "Convert/Save" from the dropdown menu.
In the pop-up window, click "Add" to upload your corrupted AVI file. Then hit "Convert/Save" at the bottom.
A new window will appear. In the "Profile" section, choose MP4 format from the list. Click "Browse" to select a destination folder, then press "Start" to convert AVI to MP4.
- Once the conversion is complete, use a media player to play the converted file and ensure it now plays smoothly without any issues.
Part 3. Video Guide on How to Repair Corrupted MP4/MOV/AVI & Other Video Files
Part 4. How to Prevent AVI File from Corruption?
While you can repair corrupted AVI files, it's prudent to adopt preventive measures to mitigate the risk of future corruption. Here are proactive steps you can take to safeguard your AVI files:
- Regularly backup AVI files to the cloud or external drives.
- Make sure to download files completely.
- Verify downloaded AVI files for corruption before using them.
- Safely eject external drives to avoid AVI corruption from abrupt removal.
- Keep media players and codecs updated to fix bugs.
- Install and update antivirus software to prevent malware that harms AVI files.
FAQs about AVI Repair
Q1. How do I know if an AVI file is corrupted?
Identifying a corrupted AVI file is easy when you notice the following signs:
- The AVI file doesn't play smoothly or displays errors during playback
- Video stutters appear pixelated or skips frames.
- Audio is garbled or unsynchronized.
- Missing video segments or distorted visuals.
- Visual glitches like a black screen.
- Incorrect file size or date.
- Error messages pop up, stating that the file is corrupt or can't be played.
Q2. What is the best AVI repair tool?
The best AVI repair tool with a high success rate is 4DDiG Video Repair. It can repair individual or batch repair severely corrupted, formatted, hidden, deleted, lost, and damaged AVI files. Moreover, it is compatible with SD cards, USBs, hard disks, and digital cameras.
Q3: What is an AVI index in VLC?
An AVI index in VLC is like a roadmap for frame locations in the file. It helps VLC find frames faster for smoother playback. Without it, VLC will have to scan the entire file for each frame to play, which can cause laggy playback.
When it comes to repairing corrupted AVI video files, we've covered a range of methods for minor issues to severe problems. From VLC to DivFix++, we've provided five easy fixes. However, for the most challenging cases, 4DDiG Video Repair shines as the ultimate solution. It excels at fixing severe AVI issues, whether video damage, corruption, playback glitches, sound troubles, or accidental deletion. With an impressive success rate, this tool can repair AVI files within a few minutes.