Waking up to a corrupt or damaged valuable video file can be all it takes to throw you into a bad mood for the rest of the day, especially when the video in question is of great importance and means the world to you – yes, some videos mean that much to a lot of us. As if this isn’t enough, searching the net for remedies can be an even more daunting task, hence the need for this article. In this article, we will walk you through the best ways you can repair MP4 with VLC. Not just MP4, but MOV as well. The VLC media player has some amazing features, and one of them is the ability to repair corrupt MOV and MP4 files. So, how can I repair MP4 files with VLC? Read on to find out.
- Part 1: Corrupted MP4 and MOV Files Overview
- Part 2: How to Reapir MP4 and MOV Video Files with VLC?
- Part 3: Alterntive Ways to Repair Corrupt MP4 and MOV Files
- Part 4: VLC vs 4DDiG File Repair- Why you Should Choose 4DDiG File Repair to Repair MP4 Files
- Bonus Tip: How to Avoid Video Files Corrupted
- Part 5: VLC Media Player Overview
Part 1: Corrupted MP4 and MOV Files Overview
In this part, we will dive into the causes of corrupt MP4 and MOV files. Being aware of the reasons behind this damage is crucial as it will help prevent such situations from occurring in the nearest future. We will also look into how a user can tell if a certain MP4 file is corrupt or damaged before moving on to how a user can repair mp4 file with VLC.
How Do You Know When An MP4 File Is Corrupt?
It is of utmost importance that a user can tell when an MP4 file is corrupt. This will help the user apply certain fixes on time because a delayed fix can result in the permanent loss of data. Below are some of the signs that suggest an MP4 file is corrupt.
- when the MP4 file refuses to play
- when the video is flickering, choppy, or blurry
- when only the audio content of the file is playing and not the video itself
- when the video and audio do not synchronize
- when a video is lagging behind
- when a video format is not supported by your PC
- when the MP4 file is broken
- Experiencing problems with video codecs
- When the video formats become unsupported by your computer
- When you experience a black screen when loading the MP4 file
What Causes Corrupt MP4 and MOV Files?
As earlier mentioned, knowing the causes of corrupt MP4 and MOV files is crucial as it will not only be the first step to take when applying a fix but will help prevent more corrupt video files in the future. Below are some of the most common reasons why we have corrupt MP4 and MOV files.
Lost or Damaged Data: Damaged or lost data are one of the causes of corrupt MPV and MOV files. During the transfer of data from one location to another through a variety of options such as intangible and tangible means, the data in question which is being transferred is prone to corruption. Due to a bad internet connection, media files may not be adequately transferred to servers. This can in turn lead to the loss of information or corrupt media files. Furthermore, Viruses and malware tend to intervene or obstruct the transfer of media files by altering the result, which in turn generates errors that signify damaged or corrupt files.
Error Writing or Reading data: The internal architecture of a file is redefined to effect the changes caused by editing. Such operations aren’t always smooth as unforeseen circumstances can occur and could cause errors and damages in their wake. These unforeseen circumstances can be related to missing or poorly constructed data.
Part 2: How to Repair MP4 and MOV Video Files with VLC?
Fortunately, damaged or corrupt MP4 and MOV video files can be repaired with the use of the VLC media player. The automated repair feature embedded in the VLC player is quite an impressive and unique feature. However, it only supports a certain video format (.avi), and as such a user must convert his or her MP4 and MOV file if it isn’t already an .avi file type. Do not worry about where to convert your MP4 and MOV files, the VLC media player also has a conversion feature. Follow the steps below how to repair mp4 with VLC.
Step 1: Open the VLC Media Player, navigate to and click on “Media”. Proceed by clicking on “Convert/Save…”.
Step 2: Add the corrupt video file by navigating to the “File” tab. After adding the video you wish to repair proceed by clicking on “Convert/Save”.
Step 3: The “File’ tab is where you will find the “Add” or “Remove option”. Click on “Add” to bring in the video file you wish to repair. Proceed by clicking on “Convert/Save”.
Step 4: Click on “Start” after choosing a codec and setting the destination of your video file.
Step 5: Launch VLC and then navigate to “Preferences” by clicking “Tools” or pressing the Ctrl+P keys on your keyboard.
Step 6: Select “Always fix” under the “Input/Codecs” tab on the next window. This selection can be seen in the “Damaged or incomplete AVI file” option. Click on “Save” to proceed.
Part 3: Alternative Ways to Repair Corrupt MP4 and MOV Files
If for some reason you find it challenging to use VLC to repair damaged or corrupt video files, below are some alternative ways to do so. They are fast and easy to follow through.
Fix 1: Use 4DDiG File Repair to Repair MP4 & MOV Files
This is the first on this list because it is the easiest and fastest method. The 4DDiG File Repair is capable of repairing both video and photo files in just three steps. Its features include:
- It is capable of repairing the common video formats we have today (MOV, MKV, MP4, 3G2, etc).
- Videos that are jerky, choppy, fuzzy, or distorted can be repaired as well.
- It supports the Windows operating system and storage media like USB flash drives, HDDs, and SD cards.
- It works with popular camera brands like DJI, GoPro, and Canon.
- It is safe and fast repair software.
- It can simultaneously repair multiple video formats.
Follow the steps below to repair damaged or corrupt video files using 4DDiG File Repair software.
- Install and launch the 4DDiG File Repair software after downloading it from their official website. In the home window, you will be presented with two options to choose from. Click on “Video Repair” to proceed.
- Import your damaged or corrupt video by clicking on the “Add” button. Click on “Start Repair” to proceed.
- Once the process is complete, you will be presented with the result from which you can preview and then export to a secure location. Proceed by clicking on “Export”.
Fix 2: Repair MP4 via QuickTime
This fix is for Mac users. The QuickTime media player is also capable of checking and fixing corrupt or damaged video files. Below are some of the steps to follow using QuickTime to fix damaged or corrupted MP4 or MOV files.
Step 1: Launch QuickTime and then try playing the video.
Step 2: Under the Window tab, click on “Show Movie Inspector”. On the pop-up menu, you will find a detailed description of the video file. If it is a damaged or corrupt video file then expect to see a black background.
Step 3: Step two will determine if the video file is corrupt or not, if it is then the next step is to navigate to the QuickTime Menu and then click the “Edit” option.
Step 4: Select your preferences and proceed by clicking on “QuickTime Preference”. Click on the “Update” button.
Now, try playing the video after restarting the QuickTime player.
Part 4: VLC vs 4DDiG File Repair- Why you Should Choose 4DDiG File Repair to Fix MP4 Files
In an attempt to determine which is better, we will equally compare both the VLC Media Player and 4DDiG File Repair software.
The VLC Media Player
- It is capable of fixing light corruption issues such as file indexing in AVI files.
- The VLC media player only works with a certain type of video file format.
- It involves manual and tedious steps when repairing a damaged or corrupt video file.
- Its video repair capabilities are limited.
4DDiG File Repair
- It is capable of fixing severely damaged videos at all levels, as well as mild corruption problems.
- 4DDiG File Repair software works for several video formats such as MOV, MKV, MP4, and 3G2, amongst others.
- It is capable of repairing damaged videos & photos with just 3 simple steps.
- Its video repair capabilities have no bounds, this is because it is a professional repair software specifically designed to fix damaged and corrupt video and photo files.
In terms of the type of video corruption, the scope of application, ease-of-use, benefits, and compatibility, 4DDiG File Repair software appears to be a better option as compared to VLC Media Player.
Bonus Tip: How to Avoid Video Files Corruption
Below are some really helpful tips on how a user can avoid damaged or corrupted video files.
- Before editing or making any changes that will alter the content of a video file, always make a copy of the original video file.
- We highly recommend using more than one back method. Doing this will make sure several alternatives are available when it comes to retrieving damaged or corrupt files. You can either make use of cloud storage, DVD, CD, or USB flash drives.
- Frequently update your antivirus software and operating system.
- Ensure your computer is working in optimal condition.
Part 5: VLC Media Player Overview
The VLC media player is an open-source cross-platform and multimedia player that plays all forms of media files including VCDs, Audio CDs, and DVDs, amongst other streaming protocols. Aside from being a media player that supports video files from different sources, it can also be used to edit and fix corrupt or damaged video files. Before the year 2015, VLC media players were only built for computers. Today, we have mobile-supported versions. This media player supports a handful of video formats such as MKV, OGG, MP4, AVI, etc. This media player is quite popular for a handful of reasons and its features are certainly one of them. Below are the features of the VLC media player.
- It has on-screen and WebCam recording features. So if you ever need to record your desktop screen or make of video of yourself, the VLC media player is a good choice.
- A user can make screenshots using the VLC media player.
- The VLC media player is capable of recording videos and audio as they play.
- A user can bookmark your videos and audio for easy access in the future.
- It also has an equalizer feature for audio effects.
- With the VLC media player, watermarks can be added to videos.
- It also contains special audio/video effects.
- A user can stream and download videos from the internet using the VLC media player.
Below are the most frequently asked questions when it comes to repairing damaged or corrupt MP4 files.
How Do I Repair a Corrupt MP4 File?
A corrupt MP4 file can be repaired using the VLC media player or third-party software (4DDiG File Repair software is highly recommended).
Can VLC Repair Damaged Video Files?
Yes, the VLC media player is capable of repairing damaged or corrupt video files. However, it will require converting the video file to a supported format (.avi).
How Can I Repair a Damaged Video File?
This can be done with the use of third-party software like 4DDiG File Repair software.
Why Some MP4 won't Play on VLC?
In such situations, it means the MP4 file in question contains an encoding format that isn’t supported by the VLC media player.
At this point, one should already know how to repair MP4 video files with VLC media player. The processes involved are quite simple. However, knowing how to repair corrupt MOV or MP4 files with VLC media player shouldn’t be your only option as it is only effective when the degree of damage isn’t heavy. Why repair corrupt MP4 with VLC when you can make use of effective third-party software specifically designed for such tasks? 4DDiG File Repair software is the best in the market as it is easy to use, safe, and reliable.