Sometimes when you want to delete a file but can’t do it. Why and how to force delete a file in Windows? This article will introduce some ways on how to delete a file that won’t delete in Windows 10/11/8/7. However, if you mistakenly deleted files from Windows or other storage devices like USB, external disk, etc., Tenorshare 4DDIG offers professional data recovery services. Read on to learn more.
Part 1. Why Can't I Delete a File on Windows 10/11?
There are a lot of reasons behind that file won't delete Windows 10. On behalf of this, we must know the reason behind this problem only after that can we fix this problem. So. check out the reasons that are mentioned below.
The user runs the same file in another program or application. So, you cannot delete file open in system.
- Maybe a sharing violation has been done.
- You are not able to delete files because access is denied.
- The same source or the file destination is in use.
- Maybe a directory of the file is corrupted.
- Scan your device with the help of an antivirus. Perhaps there is a virus that can be rid of it.
If you are in straits with how to force delete an undeletable file, then there is no need to worry that there are many ways to resolve delete files that won't delete kind of issue. We are going to write step by step guide below.
Part 2. 3 Feasible Ways to Delete Files That Cannot Be Deleted in Windows
Follow all the ways below to fix files won’t delete in Windows 10.
Way 1. Force Delete a File or Folder using CMD
CMD stands for the Command Prompt. This is a very beneficial tool for the Windows computer. Users can try to delete files or folders that cannot be deleted in Windows with the help of it. Follow all the steps carefully on how to delete files from command prompt.
Step 1. Press Windows + R keys on the keyboard, then type “CMD” in the prompt command windows and run it as an administrator by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys.
Step 2. Now, you should input the command line and press the Enter button to delete the file.
The command line is like below:
You can replace “c:\users\pc\desktop\note.txt” with the path of the file that you want to delete.
Way 2. Shift + Delete Undeletable Files
There are two ways to delete files in the windows system. One is simply using the delete option, and the other one is deleting files permanently. When you can’t delete a file normally, you can delete undeletable files Windows 10 by selecting the target file or folder and then press Shift + Delete keys on the keyboard for a try.
Way 3. Delete Files That Won't Delete in Windows Safe Mode
Safe mode is used for the diagnostic mode. If your computer shows some irrelevant issue, then the user must diagnose or troubleshoot the device with the help of safe mode. With the help of this mode, the user can delete the files forcibly. Now users need to follow all the steps that are given below.
Part 3. How to Recover Permanently Deleted Files on Windows?
Hope the above three solutions help to get rid of a file that won't delete in Windows.
Suppose you accidentally deleted a file that is useful from your Windows computer, you can undelete the file using a professional data recovery software like Tenorshare 4DDIG.
4DDIG can easily recover files from Windows, Mac, or other storage devices after permanent deletion, virus deletion, computer crash, etc.
Highlighted features about the 4DDiG Data Recovery software
- More than 550 file formats are to be recovered with the help of 4DDiG Data Recovery software, such as photos, videos, music, documents, emails, and many more.
- Users can recover all types of formatted data, corrupted Windows OS, Mac, or hard drive.
- Complete recovery of lost data from any type of Windows PC, laptops, or removable devices like USB, SSD, hard drive, etc.
- The user can also preview the file before recovery.
- The recovery rate of the data is very high.
- Zero loss of data at the time of recovery.
- Completely secure and safe at the time of use.
- Step 1: Firstly, you need to download and run this software on a computer. If you are going to recover data from a removable device, you also need to connect the device to the computer with a card reader or USB cable. Choose the location from the main interface and click Start button to continue.
- Step 2: After a few minutes, the scanning process of the disk has been completed. Then all the recoverable files are present on the screen. However, if you can’t find your lost files in the scanning results, you can switch to the Deep Scan mode. It will scan more deeply to find lost files.
- Step 3: Now, you can preview and select file(s) to recover. Don’t save the files to the original location to avoid further overwriting.
The Bottom Line
After reading this article, your question of “file won’t delete in Windows 10” may end here because all the possible and best professional ways are discussed above. We hope that after following the step-by-step process, your issue is related to how to delete undeletable files in Windows 10 has been resolved. And in case you mistakenly deleted or lost a needed file in Windows, 4DDiG Data Recovery software can quickly recover data for you.
You May Also Like
- How to Recover WordPad Document on Windows 11/10/8.1/8
- How to Recover Lost Files after Windows 11 Update?
- Windows 11 Features and How to Update?
- How to Fix Getting Windows Ready, Don't Turn off Your Computer in Windows 10/11
- How to Fix Windows Was Unable to Complete the Format?
- How to Fix Windows Media Player Doubled All My Songs?