A novice computer does not understand the internal composition of a file system. Imagine you are working on a work project or a school essay. Unexpectedly, the entire drive where you saved the document is corrupted. Its partitions are lost, and you sit there dumbfounded, unsure of what to do next. Thankfully, you have come to the right place. Today's guide encircles how to recover deleted Ext4 partition to retrieve the crucial documents. It will mention a few ways. However, one clear winner is recovering data from the Ext4 partition. You have to continue reading to discover what it is.
- Part 1: The Overview of the Ext4 File System
- Part 2: How to Recover Deleted Files from Ext4/3/2 Partition on Windows 11/10/8/7?
- Part 3：Measure: prevent loss of Ext4/Ext3/Ext2 partitions
- FAQs about Data Recovery of Ext4 partition:
Part 1: The Overview of the Ext4 File System
What is the Ext4 file system?
A file system includes primary functions such as a security model and namespace. Other attributes include successful file implementation, API, and data storage. Did you know the first file system was released in 1992? It was an Ext file system that was upgraded from the Minix File system the Linux used. As the requirements grew, so did the versions to accommodate technological demands. The Ext file versions were released and updated for modern users. The system included Ext2, Ext3, and Ext 4 files. The Ext 4 files perform incredibly. Moreover, they are the most credible file system released thus far too. Their capacity is the highest with excellent rates. In addition to the features, the Ext4 system is unique. It uses Fixed Blocks instead of the Extent prevalent in its previous versions. Ext4 is also very similar to Ext3. However, Ext4 has a more advanced filing system than the previous version. Moreover, it supports 44-bit internal addressing and is less vulnerable to fragmentation. Regardless, Ext3 and Ext4 are compatible with driver usage. Ext4 also works well with the Ext3 file system and Ext3 Mode. Linux Operating System has more than 100 file systems. Therefore, Linux implemented the Ext4 filing system to simplify the operations. Unfortunately, how to recover deleted Ext4 partitions is not straightforward. Linux's operating system will segment data using the Ext4 filing system. As a result, the system performance increases with an efficient structure.
Common causes of data loss in Ext4 Linux partitions
Before we start discussing how to recover deleted files from the Ext4 partition, let us mention the causes of why you need to learn about Ext4 data recovery
- Personal computer factory reset
- Data corruption
- Your machine may have been improperly turned down or encountered a sudden loss of power.
- Disk Formatting
- Linux partition
Many computers have a factory reset option that removes the personalized settings. The computer appears good as new. As a result, the user may need to recover data lost in the process.
The user must also learn how to recover deleted Ext4 partition if wrong settings during installation lead to partition loss. Errors in system installation may corrupt data as well.
A compromised Superblock will make the Ext4 drive uncooperative.
The user will recover deleted Ext4 partition if the system crashes due to a sudden power outage, unexpected system shutdowns, and other errors in file partitions.
When a user partitions the hard drive again, it can lead to accident deletion and drive formatting. Furthermore, unknown errors can also lead to data corruption in partitioning.
You may also need to learn how to recover deleted files from Ext4 partition if the disk files are formatted.
The user may mistakenly delete the content while managing the partitions. It is a common mistake to use managers without proper research.
Part 2: How to Recover Deleted Files from Ext4/3/2 Partition on Windows 11/10/8/7?
Solution 1: Use Professional Data Recovery Software to Recover Deleted Files from Ext4 Partition
Tenorshare 4DDiG is an excellent software to recover lost content such as videos and images. Furthermore, it will expertly recover numerous forms of documents, too, such as word, excel, rar, zip, and mp3. Tenorshare is an excellent choice to retrieve content lost on storage devices such as an external hard drive, USB, and memory cards. In addition, Tenorshare 4DDiG data recovery software will also work well with FAT12, FAT16, NTFS, and FAT32 file systems. It complements HFS and HFS+ file systems on Mac. Furthermore, users can also use Tenorshare 4DDiG for Linux file systems, such as recover deleted files from Ext4 partition. The data recovery software will work well for homes, businesses, and cooperations. Here its features:
- It will professionally recover more than 1000 types of data files from storage devices and PCs.
- Recover deleted files from lost partitions, crashed systems, or virus attacks, etc.
- The software is versatile in different file systems such as HFS, FAT, and Ext.
- The software supports Windows 11/10/8/7 and Mac data recovery.
- Tenorshare 4DDiG allows the user to preview recovered content before officially saving photos, videos, or audio files.
- The recovery modes are straightforward and do not require professional help to understand.
Ext4 partition losses can occur for many reasons. Unfortunately, novices assume the content is lost after formatting or disk cleaning. Today, you will learn how to recover deleted files from Ext4 partition.
- Connecting a Linux hard drive to a computer
- Scan Linux hard drive
- Preview and Recover your deleted files
Remove the Linux system drive and connect it to your Windows computer. Download Tenorshare 4DDiG. Please wait for it to install and launch it on your computer. The software will immediately recognize the inserted Linux system hard drive and you can scan it. In addition, you can manually select files before previewing them.
Tenorshare 4DDiG will analyze the lost contents of this hard drive. The user can pause and resume the scan when the files are recognized. The data recovery software will also categorize the content according to existing files, lost location, and tagging. We suggest changing to File view for easy sorting, such as images, documents, and videos. Lastly, you can search the files by name by entering the title in the top right corner.
When Tenorshare 4DDiG recognizes the files, the user can preview them before saving them to a secure location. Do not save the recovered content in the exact location as the original to prevent overwriting. The action will risk data loss permanently. Therefore, save the recovered content in a separate location after you recover deleted files from Ext4 partition.
Solution 2: Restore Lost Ext4/ Ext3 Partition with Command Prompt
The following solution is to recover deleted Ext4 partition using the command prompt. The letter loss may have resulted in missing the ext3/Ext4. Driver loss is a typical result of disk formatting. Follow the below-mentioned steps if driver loss has become your reality.
Step 1: Search for "Command Prompt".
Step 2: Choose "Run as Administrator".
Step 3: Type "diskpart" and press Enter.
Step 4: Enter "list disk" for a detailed assessment of the hard drives.
Step 5: Enter "Select disk Y" to choose the Ext4 drive. Replace Y with the drive's actual number.
Step 6: Enter "list volume" to study the drive volumes.
Step 7: The user must carefully recognize the partition with the drive letter. Enter "Select Volume X." Replace X with the volume number.
Step 8: Enter the command "assign letter=Z." Remember, the alphabet you pick must differ from the already mentioned letters.
- Using a command box to recover deleted Ext4 partition is a straightforward solution.
- It will provide results immediately.
- The command box has no user interface, which further simplifies the approach.
- New users must not enter the wrong commands. It can complicate Ext4-related matters.
- The command line requires familiarization.
Part 3：Measure: prevent loss of Ext4/Ext3/Ext2 partitions
We empathize that losing data is a painful experience. The matter becomes frustrating if the files are corporate and you need them immediately for clients. Even though the user can easily recover deleted Ext4 partition, it is far easier to prevent losing data.
- The user can partition disks regularly to maintain data integrity.
- Moreover, the user can also back up data regularly to protect information.
- Users can also educate themselves with Ext4/Ext3/Ext2 partitions and their internal working.
- Lastly, professional software Tenorshare 4DDiG will cooperate in disk formatting and re-formatting.
FAQs about Data Recovery of Ext4 partition:
1. How Do I Recover a Permanently Deleted Partition?
- The user will scan the disk for deleted partitions. The system will mark the disk as "unallocated if the partitions are deleted." Right-click on the disk and select "Scan for Partitions."
- Select the Detected Partition and click "Restore".
- Restore Partition from the drop menu.
- Confirm the partition you wish to restore.
- Analyze the disk space. Green implies there is no overlapping. Otherwise, the partition becomes red.
- Assign an alphabet to the drive to confirm the partition.
- Click on "Restore" at the bottom of the screen to complete the process.
2. Can Data Be Recovered from Deleted Partition?
Technically speaking, when the user accidentally deletes the partition, the system will no longer assign a location to the hard drive. As a result, the system can overwrite the empty drive. However, if the disk sections are not compromised, the user can restore the partition using the abovementioned methods.
3. How to Restore a Linux Partition from Windows?
- Select the disk whose partition you lost. Click on "Scan".
- Wait for the analysis to complete. The software will discover the lost Linux partition.
- Click on Recover to complete the recovery process and restore the partition.
4. How Do I View the Ext4 Partition?
Unfortunately, the user cannot access the Ext4 partition without special software directly interacting with the Windows. There are many disks partition software in the market. However, we suggest installing Tenorshare 4DDiG to drive, format, and recover deleted files from Ext4 partitions. The software will professionally recognize Ext4 partitions.
We hope you enjoyed the extensive guide on how to recover deleted files from Ext4 partition. Tenorshare 4DDiG data recovery software can be used not only on Windows but also on Mac, simplifying the Ext4 data recovery process for you. Tenorshare 4DDiG is trusted by corporations, mobile developers, and business owners worldwide. It is time you become one of the 10 million satisfied customers, so download Tenorshare 4DDiG today!