GoPro is a top-notch camera that saves video in the LRV file- a video format that lets people preview the footage they have shot. You can easily view these LRV files during the previews and on GoPro mobile devices. But sometimes, they can get corrupted, which can lead to frustration. Don't worry. Here, you will learn how to fix GoPro corrupt files easily without any hassle. So, continue reading.
- Part 1: Why Do GoPro Files Get Corrupted?
- Part 2: How Do I Fix a Corrupt Video File?
- Part 3: General Knowledge about GoPro Camera to Avoid Potential Risks
Part 1: Why Do GoPro Files Get Corrupted?
GoPro files can get corrupted due to a number of reasons, and all of them occur due to your own negligence. Therefore, you have to be really careful if you don't want the videos you shoot on your camera to face problems.
- Spyware: The biggest reason that causes GoPro files to go corrupt is malicious spyware. They usually get affected when you try to transfer files to another spyware/virus-affected device.
- SD card failure: If you do not remove the SD card with care, then files can get corrupted too. The reason is that any part can get damaged when you don't handle it properly, leading to lots of problems (including unplayable videos).
- Lacks Space: If the SD card is near to getting full, then you won't be able to record the videos properly, which will make them corrupt. Similarly, metadata cannot be saved easily when there is a lack of space.
- When you spill something on GoPro: While shooting with GoPro, you have to be careful and not spill anything in it. It can cause lots of malfunctions, and one of them is file corruption.
Part 2: How Do I Fix a Corrupt Video File?
Files getting corrupted are a nightmare for everyone. But fortunately, it is really easy to fix all of them if you follow some specific measures. Here are a few solutions you can try to recover the corrupted files.
Fix 1: Use the Best GoPro Video Repair Software
The simplest way to repair corrupted video files is by using a top-quality GoPro video repair tool. Out of all, 4DDiG Video Repair is the best one that anyone can use. The reason is that this program is super-efficient in fixing every type of video in no time. People also prefer it because it supports MP4, MOV, M4V, 3G2, 3GP, and many other formats. Also, if there are lots of problematic videos, then this software can even do batch processing quickly.
Furthermore, it can even repair those videos that are choppy or fuzzy. In addition, if you also have any other camera or plan to own one, then 4DDiG is for you because it also supports other popular camera brands (like Canon, DJI, etc.). The best part? 4DDiG is 100 percent safe. Unlike some repairing software, this one does not harm the computer or attack your privacy. So, download 4DDiG and repair corrupted GoPro video freely.
- Support popular camera brands, such as Canon, GoPro, and DJI.
- Repair videos that are choppy, jerky, grainy, distorted, or fuzzy.
- Extracts audio, video, documents, and image files in 1000+ formats.
- Repair polular video formats including MP4, MOV, MKV, M4V, 3G2, 3GP, etc.
- Support for batch repair in various formats at one go.
- Launch the 4DDiG Video Repair software. From the main screen select the 'Video Repair' option to fix corrupted video.
- Add the corrupted videos and click on the Repair button to start the repair process.
- Once the repair process is complete you'll be able to preview the repaired video. Export this video to a location of your choice and you will have successfully repaired your corrupted video file.
Fix 2: Repair with GoPro’s in-Built SOS Function
GoPro cameras have an in-built feature called SOS, which you can also use to repair GoPro corrupt files. But note that this method works for those videos that are shot on the same camera.
To recover GoPro files with SOS, do these steps:
- First, insert the SD card which has faulty/corrupted videos.
- Next, turn on the camera, and GoPro will start the scanning. The scanning will find all the video files that have missing metadata on the SD card.
- After this, either of these signs will appear- a bicycle or bandage. You will also see a repairing file notification when there are corrupt files with missing metadata.
- When you see the sign or notification, press any button to start the GoPro SOS repair process.
- The red light will keep on blinking when you do this. When the repair gets complete, GoPro will start working normally, and you will be able to see the videos again. That’s how to fix a corrupted GoPro file.
Fix 3: Use VLC Media Player
Another way to recover GoPro files is by converting them to different formats using VLC Media Player. However, it is a bit of a lengthy process that can go wrong if you skip even a single step. Therefore, experts suggest going for the easier ones, like using repair software.
To start GoPro corrupt file recovery via VLC, follow these steps:
- Open the VLC player on your device and then click on Media.
- Choose Convert/Save.
- Select the corrupted file and then click on Convert/Save.
- Next, choose the codec to do the transcoding.
- Click on Start to change the format. That’s it. If you were facing the “GoPro file unable to view” problem, hopefully, it will get resolved after following these steps.
Fix 4: Get the Correct Codec Pack
Sometimes, the codec is not right when you transcode the file, use a GoPro mp4 video repair tool, or change the format. When this happens, you will still not be able to play the video even if it is now uncorrupted.
In this situation, the GoPro file cannot be repaired any further. You will have to only use the correct codec pack. To choose the right one, try these steps:
- Click on Start. Select A Program.
- Choose Windows media player and then click on "Now Playing."
- Click on Checkbox. There should be codecs downloaded automatically. After this, confirm it by clicking OK. You can also download Codec by going on Microsoft's official website, checking out the plugins of Windows media player, and downloading the ones you think are perfect for video format.
Follow the prompts, and the right codecs will be installed easily. It is also a complicated method to try, which is why we suggest going for a high-quality repair tool/software like 4DDiG.
Part 3: General Knowledge about GoPro Camera to Avoid Potential Risks
It is indeed frustrating when the video you shoot does not get open or run as smoothly as it should. Fortunately, repairing software like 4DDiG can fix the issues. In the future, if you don't want to face this problem again, you should follow some precautionary measures.
So, how to prevent GoPro files from corruption? Well, these points will help:
- Use only GoPro memory cards. It is advised not to insert a card from any other company as it may cause problems.
- You should keep the camera charging full. The reason is that low-charging cameras do not work properly, which can lead to corruption issues.
- It is important to handle SD cards with care. Even slight damage can waste all of your recordings.
- You should never connect the SD card with virus-affected devices. It is because such malware can also attack the files of SD cards.
- Go for lightweight GoPro cameras. They are high in quality, impressive in results, and portable. You will be less likely to face corruption issues in such cameras than the heavyweight ones.
All-Inclusive, there are different ways you can try to fix GoPro corrupt files. But the one way that works every time is using 4DDiG Video Repair Software. It is a top-notch program that can repair any type of damaged video. No matter how they were corrupted, it will fix them easily. You will only have to click your mouse a few times and leave the rest on this software. So, download 4DDiG and enjoy watching your videos again!