How do I fix the Error Code 0x80070103?
“What is Error Code 0x80070103? How to fix install error 0x80070103”
Microsoft frequently publishes Windows Updates, including new features and fixes for numerous issues. If your system is internet-connected, Windows 11 will also install updates automatically. When Windows fails to install updates for a variety of reasons, the following message appears: Windows could not search for new updates, or Windows Update ran into a problem install error 0x80070103.
However, what may cause the install error - 0x80070103? There can be several reasons for it, due to which users cannot download and install any updates from the Windows update site due to this problem.
Don't be concerned; you're not alone. Several people have reported encountering this problem while downloading updates, which can be extremely inconvenient. The good news is that there are various viable solutions. This step-by-step guide will go through 5 methods for resolving "windows install error 0x80070103.
- Part 1: What Is Install Error - 0x80070103
- Part 2: Why Does Install Error 0x80070103 Occur?
- Part 3: How Do I Fix Error Code 0x80070103 Windows 11/10?
- Part 4: How to Recover All Your Lost Data after Windows Update HOT
- Part 5: How to Prevent Your PC from Install Error 0x80070103?
Part 1: What Is Install Error - 0x80070103
In windows update, install error 0x80070103 is a typical installation error code. It usually happens when you try to install an already installed hardware driver or when a conflicting driver update is available for the same hardware.
The error code indicates that the driver you are attempting to install is already installed on your system or that a newer driver version is available through Windows Update. The operating system prevents installing an older or conflicting driver to avoid compatibility difficulties or instability.
Part 2: Why Does Install Error 0x80070103 Occur?
When attempting to upgrade Windows, you may encounter an error message. With the windows 11 install error 0x80070103 code, Windows Update detected an unknown fault. However, what could be causing the code 80070103? There are various probable causes for the error code 80070103.
- If you install an existing device driver on your computer, you may get the Windows update number 80070103.
- If your computer is having network connectivity issues, the error may occur. It can include a poor or inconsistent internet connection, firewall settings that prevent the update, or proxy server configurations that cause problems.
- Your system's Windows Update components may become corrupted, resulting in errors. It can occur due to malware infections, erroneous shutdowns, or other system problems.
- If the device driver is incompatible with your system, the Windows error code 80070103 may appear.
Internal conflicts between installed software and the Windows Update service might occasionally cause error 0x80248007. Certain apps or services may cause the update process to fail, resulting in the error.
Part 3: How Do I Fix Error Code 0x80070103 Windows 11/10?
The following operations can be used to determine the specific device drivers. We will walk you through the process step by step.
- To Launch Windows Update.
- Enter Windows Update in the Windows search box and select the best result to proceed.
- Now we must locate Device Drivers.
- To proceed, select View installed update history from the pop-up window.
- Then you'll see a list of changes that were successful or failed.
- Following that, you must identify the malfunctioning device drivers and select to update them to resolve the error code 0070103
- After determining the device driver, proceed to resolve the Windows problem code 80070103. So, continue reading.
Way 1: Device Driver Update to Solve Install Error 0x80070103
The first thing you may try to do to resolve the windows install error - 0x80070103 is to update the device driver. Now follow the below steps to update device drivers.
- To proceed, press the Windows key and R together to open the Run dialogue, put devmgmt.msc in the box, and click OK.
- Expand the faulty driver in the Device Manager window, right-click it, and then select
- Select the option Search automatically for updated driver software in the pop-up box. Then, to proceed, follow the wizard's instructions
After that, restart your computer and run Windows Update again to see if the Windows Update issue code 80070103 has been resolved.
Way 2: Find and Remove Problematic Driver to Handle Install Error 0x80070103
An erroneous installation can sometimes create a barrier to Windows updates, resulting in the 0x80070103 error windows 11 update. In this case, you should uninstall the troublesome driver and check to see if the problem has been resolved. Here is step by step guide to removing problematic drivers.
- To open the Run dialogue, press the Windows key and R together, then type devmgmt.msc into the box and click OK to continue.
- Scroll down in the Device Manager window to find and right-click the faulty driver. To proceed, select Uninstall device.
- After that, you must confirm the change.
- After that, restart your computer and run the Windows update again to see if the error code 80070103 persists.
Way 3: Hide the Windows Update to Fix 0x80070103 Error Windows 11
If you've already updated the device driver but are still getting the windows install error 0x80070103 code upon updating, you can temporarily disable the driver updates on your computer.
Hide the driver update to prevent all driver updates on your computer, not just the display drivers. Furthermore, administrator rights are required for this solution. Here is the tutorial for completing this solution.
- To access advanced system settings, right-click on This PC and select Properties.
- To proceed, select Advanced system settings from the left side in the pop-up box.
- To proceed, navigate to the Hardware tab in the pop-up window and select Device Installation Settings.
- Then select No (your device may not function as planned). To complete this process, click Save Changes.
Now, restart your computer for the changes to take effect. This procedure generally can resolve the Windows update issue code 80070103.
Way 4: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
If none of the previous techniques work, you can try running Windows Update Troubleshooter. The Windows Update Troubleshooter is a program for detecting problems with Windows updates. You can try this method to resolve the problem windows update install error 0x80070103.
- To access the Settings app, press Windows + I.
- Select Troubleshoot from the System menu.
- Other troubleshooters should be selected. Select Windows Update and press the To start the Windows Update troubleshooter, run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Running the troubleshooter will detect and resolve issues causing the Windows update to fail on your computer.
Way 5: Rename and Reset Software Distribution Folder
The final option for resolving the windows 11 install error 0x80070103 is to rename the app. Here's how to accomplish it.
- Enter Command Prompt in the Windows search box and select the best-matching option.
- To proceed, right-click it and select Run as administrator.
- Resetting the SoftwareDistribution Folder Enter the following commands in the pop-up box, one after the other.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- Ren C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- Ren C:\\Windows\\System32\\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- net start wuauservnet start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
After you've completed all of the instructions, restart your computer and run Windows Update again to see whether the problem code 80070103 has been resolved.
Part 4: How to Recover All Your Lost Data after Windows Update
Some PC problems are difficult to resolve windows install error - 0x80070103, particularly when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. In that situation, you may wish to consider a Windows update but risk losing your data.
However, 4DDiG Windows Data Recovery stands out as a trustworthy option for data recovery. Its extensive file type support, wide device compatibility, user-friendly interface, and rapid recovery algorithms make it an appealing solution for people and enterprises dealing with data loss difficulties.
- Recover data from laptop/PC, internal & external drive, USB flash disk, SD card,etc.
- Fast scan and 3 clicks away to recover your files.
- Recover 1000+ file types including photos, videos, documents, and audio.
- Recover data from various scenarios, such as accidental deletion, formatted, virus attack, system crash, and so on
- Recover deleted documents, photos, videos from NAS storage.
- File types including JPG, BMP, GIF, PSD AVI, MOV,MP4, M4V and all other types.
- Install Tenorshare 4DDiG on your Windows, after launching it, click the scan to start the data recovery process.
- After the scanning process finish, you will see the scanned out files listing on the interface, you can preview both of them.
- Now just select the files that you want to recover from the bitlocker encrypted drive and click on "Recover". After choose the location to store the recover data, the whole data recovery process is done.
Part 5: How to Prevent Your PC from Install Error 0x80070103?
After resolving the 0x80070103 error windows 11, you are strongly advised to build a system image to protect your machine. As a result, you may be wondering why you should make a system image. In reality, there are numerous reasons for you to do so.
- First and foremost, the operating system is easily crashed or infected by a virus. If this occurs, you can utilize the previously prepared system image to restore your computer to a normal state or to restore the vital files.
- Second, if your machine has any difficulties, such as the Windows update error code 80070103, you can use the previously prepared system image to restore the system to its previous state.
- Third, if you make a mistake that causes a problem, you can use the system image to restore the computer to its prior state.
Getting install error - 0x80070103 is a prevalent problem with Windows 11/10. But there's no need to be concerned because you now have the best solutions. Consider the following solutions if you encounter the same error when performing Windows Update. The worst-case scenario in this situation is data loss, but we have a solution in the form of 4DDiG Windows Data Recovery for you. 4DDiG Data Recovery is a data recovery software that claims to be dependable. It is intended to assist users in recovering lost or deleted items from various storage devices, including hard drives, SSDs, USB drives, and memory cards.