“I'm in the process of organizing my Synology drive. Over the years it has accumulated a lot of duplicate files from various sources. What is the best way to get rid of them?？”-Question from Quora
Systems like Synology NAS are used for storing exponentially expanding data. When data is stored in such high quantities some of it is bound to get stored multiple times. These files are known as duplicate files and can eat up your storage space in no time. If your storage space is filled up with duplicate files, it means less space for other new files. So you need something that can find and delete all the doppelgangers. In this article, we will talk about a couple of the best synology duplicate file finder and the things that make them unique. The two apps are the Synology Storage Analyser and the 4DDiG Duplicate file finder. These are apps that can quickly find duplicate files and root them out. We will tell you about the various features, how to use and more about these apps so that you can use them without any issues. So let's dive in right away.
- Part 1: Does Synology NAS Have Deduplication?
- Part 2: The Best Synology Duplicate File Finder and How to Use ItHOT
- Part 3: How to Avoid Duplicate Files in Servers or NAS?
Part 1: Does Synology NAS Have Deduplication?
Synology NAS is one of the most popular storage disks used worldwide. It offers a comprehensive and complete solution for data storage. But like every other storage device, it is prone to accumulate duplicate files over time. Duplicates of photos, videos, apps, and other documents pile up due to neglect and repeated moving or copying. These duplicate files are not a threat to your disk but they end up taking a lot of space that you can otherwise use for storing new files. To get rid of these duplicate files you'll first have to find duplicate files on Synology NAS. To do this you'll need a good duplicate file finder. Luckily, Synology comes with its very own duplicate file finder and it's called Synology Storage Analyser.
Now, what exactly is the duplicate finder synology? Let us tell you. The Synology Storage Analyser allows you to assess the usage trends of your drive. It can provide detailed reports on the volume usage of your disk and also create and manage tasks to analyze where your storage is being used. Some of its best features include,
- Can scan the disks and filter files according to their file type, size, and volume.
- You can set up various criteria to pick up and match duplicate and similar files on the disk.
- The synology nas duplicate files finder also helps you to pick out the rarely accessed and used files so that you can delete them to free up storage.
- The Synology Storage Analyser is smooth, user-friendly, and completely compatible with Synology NAS drives.
How to install the Synology nas duplicate file finder.
Step 1: First you'll have to go to Synology's official website. Once you are there head on towards the 'Package Centre'.
Step 2: In the top search box, search for 'Storage Analyser'.
Step 3: Download the package that shows up and install it on your computer. Once it is installed, run it. Next up, follow the on-screen instructions to start using the synology nas duplicate photo finder.
The storage analyzer, though good, is not the perfect app to get rid of duplicate apps. The Synology Storage Analyser can only help you find duplicate files but it does not delete them. You'll have to do that manually. So if you have a lot of duplicate files, you'll have to sit and manually delete all of them. Also, the interface is a little difficult to get around, so less tech-savvy people will have a little difficulty using it.
Part 2: The Best Synology Duplicate File Finder and How to Use It
Using the synology nas find duplicate files feature in the Synology Storage Analyser app works like a charm but when the number of duplicate files is more, it becomes a headache to delete them all manually. To combat this hiccup you need an all-in-one software that finds duplicate files and deletes them. There are a lot of third-party apps that do that but only a few of them are good at what they do. The best among them is the 4DDiG Duplicate File Deleter, an application that takes care of all the imposters on your device with just a click. It is loaded with features and utilizes modern algorithms to scan your Synology NAS for duplicates. It can also delete duplicates in batches so that you don't have to sit manually and do it. Now let's look at some of the best features in the 4DDiG duplicate file deleter.
- Supports External Storage- This synology delete duplicate files finder software can find duplicate files on internal and external storage devices. So be assured if you are using the Synology drive because it can easily handle it.
- Extensive support for all File Types- This software is not only limited to removing duplicate photos but it can also effortlessly detect and remove videos, audio, documents, and other file types making it the complete all-in-one solution.
- Smart Algorithms- The 4DDiG Duplicate file finder is equipped with the top-of-the-line smart MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm. It can locate duplicate files with ease and accuracy.
- Easy and Secure- It has an interface that is easy to navigate with security features that protect your data at all costs.
- Rapid & Accurate Scans every time- It has the fastest scan times when compared to its competitors irrespective of the volume or size of files to be scanned.
- Free up Space- Optimises your Synology Storage device by deleting all the storage-eating duplicate files.
Now that we have a good idea about what 4DDiG duplicate file deleter does, let's look at how to delete duplicate photos on your Synology NAS drive using this software.
- Open the 4DDiG duplicate file deleter and choose the Synology NAS storage device.
- Once the drive is selected, start the scanning process to find the duplicate files.
- Once the scan completes, all the duplicate files will be listed on your screen. Select all the files you want to delete and click on the delete button and you'll be free of all the duplicate files.
Part 3: How to Avoid Duplicate Files in Servers or NAS?
Using features like the synology find duplicate photos in the Synology Storage Analyser is easy but do you know what's easier? Avoiding duplicate file accumulation. How to do that? Well let us tell you,
- Avoid moving the same file twice to the same location.
- Keep your PC clutter-free.
- Cloud services have features that will warn you when you try to upload the same file twice.
- If you find a folder on your PC with photos that have low resolution, small size, and long names, there is a possibility that these are duplicate files and you should delete them immediately.
How do I find duplicate files in Synology NAS?
You can find duplicate files in Synology NAS by using the Synology Storage Analyser. It can run tests and give you storage and volume reports. You can apply various filters to weed out duplicate files and delete them.
Does Synology have deduplication?
Yes, the Synology Storage Analyser can help you find duplicate files which you can then delete.
Is there a duplicate file finder?
There are many duplicate file finders available in the market. You can use the Synology Storage Analyser to find duplicate files or you can switch to the 4DDiG Duplicate File Deleter to find and delete duplicate files.
Is the duplicate file finder any good?
Duplicate file finders can easily scan through loads of data to find and delete duplicate files. You can use them to free up storage space in your drives.
You might have come into this article worrying about how to get rid of duplicate files but we are sure you will be leaving relieved. The Synology Storage Analyser and 4DDiG Duplicate File Deleter are great tools that you can use to fix your duplicate files issue. So what are you waiting for?