How to fix word experienced an error trying to open the file?
“"My Microsoft Word document will not open. How can I resolve the 'Word encountered an error when attempting to open the file' error on my own? By the way, I'm using Microsoft Word 2016."”-Question from Reddit
When you tried to access a Word 2016 file, your computer displayed the message "Word experienced an error trying to open the file." Don't worry; we've got you covered. Since this issue can emerge because of a wide range of framework, application, or information-related issues, you can attempt various ways to deal with fixing it. Many individuals have reported this issue on various forums. One such example is listed below.
- Part 1: Causes of Word Experienced an Error Trying to Open the File
- Part 2: How to Fix Word Experienced an Error Trying to Open the File 2016?
- Part 3: How to Avoid Microsoft Word Error Opening File?
- Part 4: Word FAQs
Part 1: Causes of Word Experienced an Error Trying to Open the File
Sometimes, when you open a DOC or DOCX file in MS Word, you get an error message that prevents uploading the file. Information is often - Word error when trying to open a file.
Next, list the various suggestions you can follow to overcome this standard error or data corruption. In most instances, this MS Word error can result in the following situations:
- Lower disk space on your system.
- A corrupt DOC file or DOCX file is loaded.
- You do not have a permit to open the document.
- File blocked or protected.
Part 2: How to Fix Word Experienced an Error Trying to Open the File 2016?
Now that we've covered the fundamentals, let's look at fixing the "Word experienced a problem opening the file” in this post.
Fix 1: Unblock the Word file
One of the normal explanations for getting this MS Word issue is connected with authorizations and different boundaries set for the archive. For instance, on the off chance that the library has been hindered, you can experience issues while stacking it.
Step 1: To fix it, you can find the MS Word record, right-click, and go to its "Properties" from its set menu.
Step 2: When the properties window is sent off, go to its "General" area, and snap on the "Unblock" button at the baseboard for its security segment.
Step 3: Click on the "Alright" button after that to execute the progressions and unblock the MS Word report.
Fix 2: Disable Protected View
A noticeable justification for getting the Windows experienced blunders while attempting to open the document could be connected with its safeguarded view. Preferably, if the record has been protected, it can make it harder for non-confided clients to open it.
Step 1: Fortunately, without much of a stretch, cripple this element by sending off MS Word and visiting its Menu > File > More Options. When the committed window for More Options is stacked, go to "Trust Center" from the sidebar and visit its "Trust Center Settings."
Step 2: As the Trust Center Settings are opened, you can go to the "Safeguarded View" from the side and mood killer its assigned choices for MS Word.
A while later, you can reload the Word application and attempt to open your DOC/DOCX record on it.
Fix 3: Add a New Trusted Location
Another security-related issue that can cause the “Word experienced an error trying to open the file 2016" could be connected with the confided in area settings on the application. Preferably, if the planned area for its default format is adulterated or inaccessible, you can experience this issue.
Step 1: To analyze this, you can send off MS Word and go to its File > Options to open its More Options window.
Step 2: Here, you can go to the "Trust Center", a highlight from the sidebar and essentially open its Trust Center Settings.
Step 3: Here, you can go to the "Trust Center", a highlight from the sidebar, and open its Trust Center Settings.
Step 4: Presently, you can peruse the default place where the MS Word layout is saved (which is AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Templates by and large)
You can tap on the "Alright" button in the wake of adding the area to save these changes.
Fix 4: Run the MS Office Troubleshooter
Aside from some off-base arrangement settings on MS Word, the issue can likewise emerge, assuming the application has been degraded. The easiest method for fixing the "Word experienced an error trying to open the file word 2016" is fixing the MS Office suits on your Windows PC.
Step 1: For this, you can go to the Control Panel on your framework and visit the "Add or Remove Programs" highlight. From the rundown of the introduced applications, select MS Office, and snap on the "Change" button above it.
Step 2: This will open a devoted wizard from where you can decide to fix the introduced MS Office Suite.
Step 3: Therefore, you can initially decide to play out a "Quick Repair" to fix minor issues with MS Office and can later play out a web-based fix (if necessary).
Fix 5: View Version History
Probably the least demanding way that you can get back an infected report is by reviewing its adaptation history and afterward returning to the most recent accessible form. Hence you recover the record with insignificant loss of information. For that:
Step 1: Open the envelope containing the documents and right-click on them.
Step 2: Click on the "View Version History" choice and select the last accessible one.
Step 3: Verify whether the archive is recovered
Fix 6: Repair Corrupt Word Files
At the point when Word is corrupted or damaged, it can't be stacked as expected on your framework. Tenorshare 4DDiG is a vital information recuperation device that can repair corrupt Word files.
To recover word records, you should be persistent, as you need to download a word document fix device. Word reports on Windows, whether corrupted or erased, could be fixed involving Tenorshare 4DDiG for Windows Data Recovery device. It's accessible to recover information from Windows7/8/10/11.
- Recover corrupted files such as Word(2016/2010/2013, etc.), PowerPoint, Excel, photos, videos, audios, etc.
- Recover any deleted or lost files from Windows/Mac
- Support to extract lost data from USB flash drives, hard drives, memory cards, digital cameras, and camcorders, among other storage devices.
- Repair corrupt videos and photos
- After you download and install Tenorshare 4DDiG, select a location where Word files get corrupted and then click Scan to proceed.
- 4DDiG promptly looks for corrupt Word files and repair them at the same time.
- After the scanning, select target word files and click on the "Recover" button to save the recovered document at the base right corner. Try not to save the record to a similar place where you have lost them in case of permanent data loss.
Part 3: How to Avoid Microsoft Word Error Opening File?
You can avoid Microsoft word error opening file in the following ways:
- Only install MS Office Suite from trusted sources and avoid any malicious applications.
- Consider upgrading your MS Windows system and Office Suite to its latest version available.
- Avoid changing the entire configuration settings of the MS Word application, which may cause unwanted conflicts.
- Don’t ever try to install MS Word plugins from any unreliable third-party sources.
- Keep your MS Word files safe and avoid any actions that could lead to data corruption.
1. How do I fix Word experienced an error trying to open the file, Mac?
You can fix this issue by using these techniques: Unblock Word, Disable Protected View, Add Trusted Location, Text Recovery Converter, Word Recover & Repair Tool. The explanation of these methods is given above.
2. How to recover deleted Word documents?
Step 1: Double-tap the Recycle Bin on the Desktop.
Step 2: Search through the rundown of reports to see whether the erased Word record is still there.
Step 3: If you observe the ideal Word document, right-click the record name and afterward select Restore to recover the document.
If you've unintentionally emptied the Recycle bin, you can recover deleted files with Word data recovery tool.
3. How to fix Microsoft Word not responding?
Step 1: In Safe Mode, open Word. You can see if the program works properly or if it is corrupted by loading it without any templates or add-ins.
Step 2: Add-ons should be disabled.
Step 3: Make the necessary changes to the document.
Step 4: Word of repair.
Step 5: The Word should be uninstalled and reinstalled.
You no longer require worrying about the error “Word experienced an error trying to open the file.“ You can use the above methods to get out of such a predicament and avoid getting into trouble. Enable the auto-save option in MS Word to recover all files in the event of a corrupted word document in the future. Download the Tenorshare 4DDiG Windows Data Recovery program if your document must be repaired.